Friday, August 13, 2010

You don't have to be insane to be a progammer...

Excellent cautionary tale with very  useful pointers.
If you code professionally I reccomend this post.



Common Programmer Health Problems
I find many programmers seem to ignore their body's physical state when they're coding, most likely due to the intense concentration required. I'm hoping other people could benefit by simply understanding a few health related problems programming has almost caused me or caused many other people I know, and how I avoided them.
What I do want to cover are a set of particular problems programmers have from their daily profession. These are just simple really obvious things that for some reason programmers don't realize aren't supposed to be happening:

 
  • Pain in your wrists from Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI).
  • Problems with your eyes from staring at moving print for extended periods.
  • Back problems from poor posture, especially in the lower back and upper shoulders.
  • Bowel and urinary issues from not crapping and pissing when you should.
  • Dehydration from drinking too much caffeine and not enough water.
  • Problems with hemorrhoids and the prostate for guys from sitting too much. Yep, I'm gonna go there.
  • Vitamin D deficiency from lack of sunshine.
  • Sleeping disorders from staying up late and drinking too much coffee.
  • General stiffness and soreness from a lack of stretching in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment